Hindu College of Pharmacy is well aware about importance of Environment Consciousness. Under the same awareness various Green initiatives are carried out by College
- Waste management
- Rain water Harvesting
- Use of Solar Energy
- Green practices
Hindu College of Pharmacy promotes the “ REDUCE, REUSE and RECYCLE” motto, reducing the need to dispose of waste as much as possible, and also ensuring proper disposal of whatever waste is generated by having a specified procedure for doing so. Thus ensuring a clean and healthy campus.Following are the methods adopted for waste management.
Solid waste management
- There are separate dust bins for the bio degradable and non biodegradable waste which are placed at various locations on campus.
- The dustbins are labelled with proper instructions to clearly distinguish the waste and disposing the same.
- Small amount of vegetative waste is disposed off through Smart bins, Easy Indoor Composter of greentech life. (Containing the non pathogenic microbial flora).
- Smart bins are placed in many places like in girls and boys hostels, the canteen, and other places in the campus where vegetative wastes may be produced.
- Larger quantities of biodegradable waste are allowed to degrade or decompose by dumping it into the pits on campus.
- For vermicomposting suitable pit has been created, which contains few hundred earthworms in it. The waste matter introduced in this is broken down by earthworms into ecofriendly manure.
- The college provides the students with bags with college logo for their use in the college and thus usage of plastic bags is discouraged within the College premises.
- Littering of wastes is prohibited in the campus.
- After every program conducted in the college, the students clean the premises and the wastes produced are separated into biodegradable and no biodegradable wastes.
Liquid Waste Management
- Use of hazardous liquid chemicals generating hazardous fumes is avoided.
- The other generated and waste liquids are disposed through well constructed drainage system leading to the closed collection tanks which also collects water from wash basins.
- The collected waste water is subjected to treatment and then is used for gardening in the summer. These are regularly cleaned.
The Hindu College of Pharmacy is also very particular about disposing its e waste.
Efforts for Carbon neutrality
- The institution has herbal garden containing different medicinal plants.
- The medicinal plants, lawn and trees in the campus are well maintained.
- There is a prohibition of burning plastic in the campus. These help in Carbon Neutrality.
- Plantation- Botanical or medical significance.
- Medicinal Plant Garden was established in the institute, to cultivate and maintain medicinal plants for educational and research purpose. The objective of establishing this garden is to maintain a conservatory of the most common and important species of medicinal and aromatic plants which have significance in day-to-day primary health care.
- The medicinal plant garden of the institute has various specimens of crude drugs,
- *Bio-hazardous waste management.
- The faculty members also guide and monitor the students for careful use and handling of chemicals in various laboratories. Fuming chambers are provided in the laboratories for the proper disposal of hazardous fumes. There is a prohibition of use and burning of plastic in the campus.
RAIN WATER HARVESTING
Rain water harvesting structures and utilization in the campus
Being situated in a region with very extreme summers, we realize the importance of conservation and best utilization of water resources. We maintain and generate our water resources. The waste water is treated and also reused.
The college has few bore wells to meet the general needs of the institution.
Rainwater harvesting provides an independent water supply during regional water restrictions. The water thus collected is then used for several purposes, mainly like gardening. The institution adopts sprinkler procedure in large lawns and water is very judiciously used for plantation purposes. In the extreme summer season, when water is scarce, the rain water thus collected and stored in the underground tank, is then used for the maintenance of the green cover in the campus. The rain water, which is run off from the higher surface areas, i.e. in the open field and ground, is restricted in a particular area by building mud ridges surrounding the area, so that the water does not flow away but stands in that area and soaks in the ground. This may help in raising the water table of the area. Thus if the water table rises this may result in more availability of the water in the wells. This also results in avoiding soil erosion. Thus the availability of water for the various purposes increases. The students are also encouraged to do rain water harvesting and to avoid the wastage of water at home.
USE OF SOLAR ENERGY
Steps for Energy conservation are followed
- Use of ample glass windows for maximizing use of available natural light in the operational areas.
- Classroom and labs are designed in such a way that natural lightning and ventilation are provided.
Use of renewable energy
- The institution has installed several solar lights in the premises. The path of the college is lighten up through these solar lights.
The management of the institution has also planned to dedicate Solar panel with a suitable capacity for one entire building of the college for all it’s energy usage.
Public Transport/ Bus facility
- Hindu college of pharmacy provides bus facility to all its students.
- Use of Bus facility has been made mandatory for all the of first year and second year students of Pharm.D course for their safety concern.
- The local students are encouraged to come by bicycle to college. Most of the students who are native of Guntur and area near college use their bicycles/Motor cycle for coming to college.
- All the Staff members have adopted carpooling facilty for the saving fuel, safety as well as environment concerns.
Plastic free campus
- College provides and encourages use of bags with college logo and discourages use of plastic bags.
- Display Boards displaying USE OF PLASTIC IS RESTRICTED are placed in different area of the college.
- Hazards of use of plastic are explained to students time to time for creating plastic free zone.
- Through the subject Enviornmental Sciences, students are taught about hazards of plastics and awareness about plastic prohibition is made.
- Tea cups and glasses for water made of stainless steel and glass are used instead of disposable plastic cups and glasses at college canteen.
- The use of the latest technology has made it easier to maintain a paperless campus.
- Most of the verbal communication in the college is done though the intercom facility which is available in all laboratories, offices, teachers cabins as well as canteen.
- Most of the official communication like notices for various meetings of staff as well as students, holiday notices, program communication, greetings on different occasions…etc is done through the bulk SMS facility, emails and other social media.
- For different communication to the people outside college and in general for the purpose of conveying invitation, participation, views…. etc (for conferences, interviews, campus interviews, seminars, workshops….etc) emails, SMS and social media are preferred.
- Unless and until required paper print outs are not taken and most of the work is done through soft copies on computers.
- The Institute has a lush green campus with lawns as well as beautiful trees planted all over the campus area.
- Most of the corridors of the college are also lined up with potted plants.
- College also has separate herbal garden in the campus which is helpful for learning.
- Tree plantation is done every year in the college premises and nearby villages under NSS activity to promote green practices and saving of trees.
- Tree guards are provided are provided to protect the small plants.